A Guide to the Hitchiti Forest Research Center

  • Author(s): Brender, Ernst V.
  • Date: 1952
  • Station ID: Miscellaneous Publication-SRS-

Abstract

The Hitchiti Forest Research Center was established in 1946 by the Forest Service, USDA, to find ways and means of producing more wood in the depleted forests of lower Piedmont Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina. Sixty percent of the 18-1/2 million-acre territory is in forest. The forest consists principally of even-aged stands of loblolly pine on the uplands and a mixture of oaks, hickories, yellow-poplar, and other hardwoods on the moist sites.

  • Citation: Brender, Ernst V. 1952. A Guide to the Hitchiti Forest Research Center. USDA Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station, Old Station Paper SE-019

Requesting Print Publications

Publication requests are subject to availability. Fiscal responsibility limits the hardcopies of publications we produce and distribute. Electronic versions of publications may be downloaded, distributed and printed.

Please make any requests at pubrequest@fs.fed.us.

Publication Notes

  • This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
  • Our online publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat. During the capture process some typographical errors may occur. Please contact the SRS webmaster if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
  • To view this article, download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.