Steve MeadowsPrincipal Silviculturist
Stoneville, MS 38776-0227
The objective of my research is to develop and refine environmentally sound silvicultural practices that enhance growth, development, quality, and value of both individual trees and existing hardwood stands on the major river bottoms and minor streambottoms across the southern United States. Particular emphasis is placed on understanding those factors that influence bole quality, especially the formation of epicormic branches, and how they may be related to tree health. The research approach is executed through a four-pronged framework comprised of (1) applied studies of intermediate stand silviculture designed to evaluate the effects of various types of partial cuttings (improvement cuttings, thinnings, and release cuttings) on growth, quality, and value of commercial tree species in existing hardwood stands; (2) basic studies of bole and log quality designed to describe the process of epicormic branch production in standing hardwood trees and to identify and prioritize those factors that influence this phenomenon; (3) modeling studies to develop decision rules and conceptual models to aid in the selection of the most appropriate thinning prescription to apply in any given hardwood stand; and (4) synthesis efforts to develop practical silvicultural guidelines, management tools, and management systems that optimize growth, quality, and value of existing hardwood stands. Most of the research is conducted in natural, even-aged, mixed-species stands of bottomland hardwoods, but some studies are conducted in oak plantations of various ages and in uneven-aged, mixed-species stands on loessial upland sites.
- Ph.D. in Forestry, 1988
- Mississippi State University
- M.S. in Forestry, 1981
- Louisiana State University
- B.S.F. in Forestry, 1979
- Louisiana State University
- Southern Hardwood Forestry Group, Secretary (1990—Current)
Featured Publications and Products
- Schultz, Emily B.; Iles, J. Clint; Matney, Thomas G.; Ezell, Andrew W.; Meadows, James S.; Leininger, Theodor D.; et., al. 2010. Stand-level growth and yield component models for red oak-sweetgum forests on Mid-South minor stream bottoms.
- Meadows, James S.; Skojac, Daniel A., Jr. 2010. Stand quality management of a water oak plantation in Louisiana: preliminary results following thinning.
- Meadows, Steve. 2010. Silvics and silviculture of ash in mixed hardwood forests of the southern bottomlands and loessial hills.
- Skojac, Daniel A., Jr.; Meadows, James S.; Ezell, Andrew W. 2010. Second-year growth and bole quality response of residual poletimber trees following thinning in an even-aged bottomland hardwood sawtimber stand.
- Lockhart, Brian Roy; Meadows, Steve; Portwood, Jeff. 2005. Southern hardwood forestry group going strong after 50 years.
- Banzhaf, George M.; Matney, Thomas G.; Schultz, Emily B.; Meadows, James S.; Jeffreys, J. Paul; Booth, William C.; Li, Gan; Ezell, Andrew W.; Leininger, Theodor D. 2016. Log-grade volume distribution prediction models for tree species in red oak-sweetgum stands on US mid-south minor stream bottoms.
- Rose, Anita; Meadows, Steve. 2016. Status and trends of bottomland hardwood forests in the mid-Atlantic Region.
- Meadows, James S.; Johnson, Robert L.; Krinard, Roger M. 2015. Early release improves long-term growth and development of direct-seeded nuttall oak saplings.
- Meadows, James S.; Krinard, Roger M. 2013. Early pruning affects 15-year growth of cottonwood planted at 40- by 40-foot spacing.
- Meadows, James S.; Goelz, J.C.G.; Skojac, Daniel A., Jr. 2013. Influences of tree, stand, and site characteristics on the production of epicormic branches in southern bottomland hardwood forests.
- Meadows, James S.; Leininger, Theodor D.; Montwé, David; Nebeker, T. Evan. 2013. Thinning to improve growth, bole quality, and forest health in an Inonotus hispidus-infected, red oak-sweetgum stand in the Mississippi Delta: 10-year results.
- Meadows, James S. 2012. Growth and bole quality responses to thinning in a red oak-sweetgum stand in southeastern Arkansas: nine-year results.
- Meadows, James S.; Skojac , Daniel A., Jr. 2012. Stand quality management in a late-rotation, red oak-sweetgum stand in east Mississippi: preliminary results following thinning.