Dumitru SalajanuForester/Remote sensing
Knoxville, TN 37919
Spatial pattern, measure of aggregation and ecological diversity. A comparison among species diversity, similarity, species abundances, etc., in federal, state and private owned forests.
How species diversity is affected by the owner's goals to manage the forest for timber, wildlife or for both timber and wildlife,
Which species are promoted when the forest is managed only for timber production?
How diversity changes when the forest is managed only for wildlife (hunting clubs forests, wildlife refuges),
How diversity changes in private forests, etc.
- Ph.D. in Remote sensing of environment, GIS, Forest ecosystem dynamics, Forest hydrology and Watershed management, Forest ecology, Forest management, Applied linear statistical models, Water quality management, Natural resource measurements and analysis, etc., 1998
- University of Michigan, School of Natural Resources and Environment
- M.S. in Remote Sensing Aplication to Forestry, 1993
- University of Michigan, School of Natural Resources and Environment, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- B.E/M.E in Accounting, Marketing, Economics, Financing, International trade, Statistics, Labor economics, etc., 1983
- " Babes-Bolyai" University of Cluj-Napoca (1983), Romania,
- B.S/M.S. Forestry in Forest management, Silviculture, Forest entomology, Afforestation, Dendrology, Dendrometry, Pedology, Botany, Plant physiology, Physics, Biochemistry, Topography and photogrammetry, Forest roads and bridges, Technology of forest operations, etc., 1973
- Transilvania University of Brasov (1973 University of Brasov), Romania,
Awards and Recognition
- Spot Award, 2004
- Exceptional service during production of National FIA Biomass and Forest Cover Maps, and Forest Health Risk Assessment map datasets (Forest Type/Type-Group).
- Certificate of Merit Award, 1999
- U.S.D.A. Forest Service Certificate of Merit Award, August 1999.
- Donald M. Matthews Award, 1998
- University of Michigan Outstanding Graduate Student in Forest Management (May, 1998).
Featured Publications and Products
- Salajanu, Dumitru; Jacobs, Dennis. 2010. Contribution of climate, soil, and MODIS predictors when modeling forest inventory invasive species distribution using forest inventory data.
- Salajanu, Dumitru; Jacobs, Dennis M. 2009.
Using forest inventory plot data and satellite imagery from MODIS and Landsat-TM to model spatial distribution patterns of honeysuckle and privet.
- Salajanu, Dumitru ; Jacobs, Dennis M. 2009.
Predicting spatial distribution of privet (liguestrum spp.) in South Carolina from MODIS and forest inventory plot data.
- Salajanu, Dumitru; Jacobs, Dennis M. 2007. Accuracy assessment of biomass and forested area classification from modis, landstat-tm satellite imagery and forest inventory plot data.
- Salajanu, Dumitru; Jacobs, Dennis M. 2006. The effect of using complete and partial forested FIA plot data on biomass and forested area classifications from MODIS satellite data.
- Salajanu, Dumitru; Jacobs, Dennis M. 2005. Assessing biomass and forest area classifications from modis satellite data while incrementing the number of FIA data panels.
- Salajanu, Dumitru; Olson, Charles E., Jr. 2001. The significance of spatial resolution: Identifying forest cover from satellite data.
- Ruefenacht, B.; Finco, M.V.; Nelson, M.D.; Czaplewski, R., Ph.D..; Helmer, E.H.; Blackard, J. A.; Holden, G.R.; Lister, A.J.; Salajanu, D.; Weyermann, D.; Winterberger, K. 2008. Conterminous U.S. and Alaska Forest Type Mapping Using Forest Inventory and Analysis Data.
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /srv/web/www.srs.fs.usda.gov/staff/viewemployee.php on line 516