John SchelhasResearch Forester
Athen, GA 30602
African Amerian landowners and forestry. Tribes and forests. Private forest owner decision-making. Social acceptability of bioenergy in the U.S. South.
Social and cultural dimensions of natural resource use and conservation:
Environmental values. Land use choice. Social networks. Race/ethnicity.
Natural resource management and policy:
Land use and sustainable development. National parks and protected areas.
Forests on private lands. Participation, collaboration, and community-based approaches.
Interdisciplinary research. Relationships between research and practice.
Biofuels. Tourism and pilgrimage. Tribes and forest management.
Minority and limited-resource forest landowners in Alabama.
Forest values in Central America.
Forest and land use choice in Central America.
- Ph.D. in Renewable Natural Resources. Anthropology., 1991
- University of Arizona
- M.S. in Watershed Management, 1979
- University of Arizona
- B.S. in Natural Resources, 1977
- University of Michigan
- Research Forester, Southern Research Station, USDA Forest Service, Athens, GA
- Research Forester, Southern Research Station, USDA Forest Service, Tuskegee University, AL
- Research Associate and Senior Research Associate, Deptartment of Natural Resources, Cornell University
Coordinated NSF Research Training Grant, Cornell Program and Ecological and Social Science Challenges of Conservation
Awards and Recognition
- Visiting Tribal Heritage Scholar, Grey Towers, Milford, PA, 2017
- Director’s Multicultural Organization Award, Southern Research Station, 2010
- For significant contributions to the Agency's ability to meet the needs of minority and limited-resource forest landowners, and for outreach and edcuation of Tuskegee University students.
Featured Publications and Products
- Schelhas, John ; Hitchner, Sarah ; Brosius, J. Peter. 2018. Envisioning and implementing wood-based bioenergy systems in the southern United States: Imaginaries in everyday talk.
- Hitchner, Sarah ; Schelhas, John ; Brosius, J. Peter; Nibbelink, Nathan . 2018. Thru-hiking the John Muir Trail as a modern pilgrimage: implications for natural resource management.
- Hitchner, Sarah; Schelhas, John; Johnson Gaither, Cassandra. 2017. A privilege and a challenge: valuation of heirs' property by African American landowners and implications for forest management in the southeastern U.S.
- Schelhas, John; Hitchner, Sarah; Johnson Gaither, Cassandra; Fraser, Rory; Jennings, Viniece; Diop, Amadou. 2016. Engaging African American landowners in sustainable forest management.
- Schelhas, J.; Samar, S.; Johnson, Cassandra; Asumadu, K.; Tease, F.; Stanturf, J.; Blay, D. 2010. Opportunities and capacity for community-based forest carbon sequestration and monitoring in Ghana.
- Schelhas, John; Pfeffer, Max J. 2009. When global environmentalism meets local livelihoods: policy and management lessons.
- Schelhas, John; Sanchez-Azofeifa, G. Arturo. 2006. Post-frontier forest change adjacent to Braulio Carrillo National Park, Costa Rica.
- Schelhas, John; Pfeffer, Max J. 2005. Forest Values of national park neighbors in Costa Rica.
- Schelhas, John; Zabawa, Robert; Molnar, Joseph J. 2003. New opportunities for social research on forest landowners in the south.
- Schelhas, John ; Hitchner, Sarah ; Brosius, J. Peter. 2018. Envisioning and implementing sustainable bioenergy systems in the U.S.
- Wilson, Sarah Jane; Schelhas, John ; Grau, Ricardo ; Nanni, A. Sofía; Sloan, Sean . 2017. Forest ecosystem-service transitions: the ecological dimensions of the forest transition.
- Schelhas, John. 2017. The battle for Yellowstone: Morality and the sacred roots of environmental conflict, by Justin Farrell.
- Hitchner, Sarah; Schelhas, John; Brosius, J. Peter. 2017. “Even our Dairy Queen shut down”: Risk and resilience in bioenergy development in forest-dependent communities in the US South.
- Schelhas, John; Hitchner, Sarah; Johnson Gaither, Cassandra; Jennings, Viniece. 2017. “Sunshine, sweat, and tears”: African-American ties to land and forests in the south.
- Johnson Gaither, Cassandra; Himmelfarb, David; Hitchner, Sarah; Schelhas, John; Shepherd, J. Marshall; K.C., Binita. 2016. "Where the sidewalk ends": sustainable mobility in Atlanta's Cascade community.
- Dwivedi, Puneet; Jagadish, Arundhati; Schelhas, John. 2016. Perceptions of stakeholder groups about the participation of African American family forest landowners in federal landowner assistance programs.
- Hitchner, Sarah; Schelhas, John; Brosius, J. Peter. 2016. Snake oil, silver buckshot, and people who hate us: metaphors and conventional discourses of wood-based bioenergy in the rural southeastern United States.
- Lupoli, Christopher A.; Morse, Wayde C.; Bailey, Conner; Schelhas, John. 2015. Indicator development methodology for volunteer tourism in host communities: creating a low-cost, locally applicable, rapid assessment tool.
- Lupoli, Christopher Anthony; Morse, Wayde C.; Bailey, Conner; Schelhas, John. 2014. Assessing the impacts of international volunteer tourism in host communities: A new approach to organizing and prioritizing indicators.
- Himmelfarb, David; Schelhas, John; Hitchner, Sarah; Johnson Gaither, Cassandra; Dunbar, KathErine; Brosius, J. Peter. 2014. Perceptions of and Attitudes Toward Climate Change in the Southeastern United States.
- Hitchner, Sarah; Schelhas, John; Hujala, Teppo; Brosius, J. Peter. 2014. Public opinion and wood energy.
- Johnson-Gaither, cassandra; Schelhas, John; Zipperer, Wayne; Sun, Ge; Caldwell, Peter V.; Poudyal, Neelam. 2014. Water stress and social vulnerability in the southern United States, 2010-2040.
- Brosius, J. Peter; Schelhas, John; Hitchner, Sarah. 2013. Social acceptability of bioenergy in the U.S.
- Schelhas, John; Molnar, Joseph. 2012. A Common-Pool Resource Approach to Forest Health: The Case of the Southern Pine Beetle.
- Schelhas, John. 2012. Book review: Unveiling the Whale: Discourses on Whales and Whaling.
- Schelhas, John; Zhang, Yaoqui; Zabawa, Robert; Zheng, Bin. 2012. Exploring family forest landowner diversity: Place, race, and gender in Alabama, United States.
- Schelhas, John; Miller, James H.; Chambers, Jeanne C. 2012. Non-native plants and adaptive collaborative approaches to ecosystem restoration [Chapter 8].
- Schelhas, John; Hitchner, Sarah; Johnson, Cassandra. 2012. Social vulnerability and environmental change along urban-rural interfaces.
- Charnley, Susan; Jakes, Pamela; Schelhas, John. 2012. Socioeconomic assessment of Forest Service American Recovery and Reinvestment Act projects: key findings and lessons learned.
- Schelhas, John. 2012. Using multiple research methods to understand family forest owners.
- Charnley, Susan; Jakes, Pamela J.; Schelhas, John. 2011. A socioeconomic assessment of Forest Service American Recovery and Reinvestment Act projects: eight case studies.
- Zhang, Yaoqi; Majumdar, Indrajit; Schelhas, John. 2010. Changes in Woodland Use from Longleaf Pine to Loblolly Pine.
- Gyawali, Buddhi; Fraser, Rory; Bukenya, James; Schelhas, John. 2010. Regional Growth and income convergence in the western black belt counties of Alabama: evidence from census block group data.
- Schelhas, John. 2010. The U S national parks in international perspective: The Yellowstone model or conservation syncretism?.
- Schelhas, John; Pfeffer, Max J. 2010. When global conservation meets local livelihoods: People and parks in Central America.
- Gyawali, B.; Fraser, R.; Schelhas, J.; Wang, Y.; Tadesse, W.; Bukenya, J. 2009. Human well-being and land cover types in the southeastern U.S.A.
- Zhang, Y.; Liao, X.; Butler, B.J.; Schelhas, J. 2009. The increasing importance of small-scale forestry: evidence from family forest ownership patterns in the United States.
- Schelhas, John; Zabawa, Robert. 2009. The social structure of family and farm forestry in Alabama.
- Kebede, Ellene; Schelhas, John; Haslerig, Janet. 2008. Alternative forest resource use - outdoor recreation and rural economics.
- Gyawali, Buddhi; Fraser, Rory; Bukenya, James; Schelhas, John. 2008. Income convergence in a rural, majority African American region.
- Pfeffer, Max J.; Schelhas, John W.; Meola, Catherine. 2006. Environmental globalization, organizational form, and expected benefits from protected areas in Central America.
- Kebede, Ellene; Ngandu, Mudiayi; Schelhas, John; Batalia, Doris. 2006. Recreational demand for Tuskegee National Forest, a non-market valuation.
- Gyawali, Buddhi R.; Fraser, Rory F.; Wang, Yong; Tadesse, Wubishet; Bukenya, James; Schelhas, John. 2006. Spatial analysis of the change in land cover and human well-being in the black-belt counties of Alabama.
- Gan, Jianbang; Onianwa, Okwuldili O.; Schelhas, John; Wheelock, Gerald C.; Dubois, Mark R. 2005. Does race matter in landowners' participation in conservation incentive programs?.
- Schelhas, John; Zabawa, Robert. 2005. Model forest landowners in Alabama: are they different from typical landowners?.
- Zhang, Yaoqi; Zhang, Daowei; Schelhas, John. 2005. Small-scale non-industrial private forest ownership in the United States: rationale and implications for forest management.
- Onianwa, Okwudili; Wheelock, Gerald; Gyawali, Buddhi; Gan, Jianbang; Dubois, Mark; Schelhas, John. 2004. An analysis of factors affecting participation behavior of limited resource farmers in agricultural cost-share programs in Alabama.
- Schelhas, John. 2004. Natural enemies: people-wildlife conflicts in anthropological perspective.
- Molnar, Joseph J.; Schelhas, John; Holeski, Carrie. 2003. Controlling the Southern Pine Beetle: Small Landowner Perceptions and Practices.
- Crim, Sarah Day; Dubois, Mark; Bailey, Conner; Schelhas, John. 2003. Female forestland owners: Characterization of assistance needs.
- Schelhas, John. 2002. Activities of the Alabama Consortium on forestry education and research, 1993-1999.
- Schelhas, John; Sherman, Ruth E.; Fahey, Timothy J.; Lassoie, James P. 2002. Linking community and national park development: A case from the Dominican Republic.
- Schelhas, John; Buck, Louise E.; Geisler, Charles C.; Wollenberg, Eva, eds. 2001. Ecoregional management in southern Costa Rica: Finding a role for adaptive collaborative management.
- Nicholson, Charles F.; Blake, Robert W.; Reid, Robin S.; Schelhas, John. 2001. Environmental impacts of livestock on the developing world.
- Schelhas, John; Lassoie, James P. 2001. Learning Conservation and Sustainable Development: An Interdisciplinary Approach.
- Schelhas, John. 2000. Catalyzing sustainability: Cornell University's field practicum in conservation and sustainable development.